We are located in ‘The Listening Post’ (aka Monitoring Station #1) on one of the nation’s most covert Army bases. Our building originally served as a dairy barn for more than 100 years before becoming a secret Army post. Fascinating history and fabulous wines are served here. With a 100-barrel capacity, we boast small quantities of a wide variety of varietals – there is something new to taste on every return trip! Meet the Winemakers: Winemaker – Brian Smyth Vint Hill Winery welcomed winemaker Brian Smyth to our wine making team in June 2018. Brian has extensive experience with a variety of wineries in multiple regions around the world. Apprenticing with numerous wine makers, a plethora of grape varieties and wine styles, he has been able to fine-tune his craft while being adaptable to any environment. Brian holds a Masters of Oenology from the University of Adelaide in South Australia, one of the world’s best schools in the industry. He served as Head Winemaker for Chateau Morrisette in Floyd, Virginia for three years where he produced over 50,000 cases of 30 different award-winning wines and ciders annually. While he has spent much of his winemaking career in Oregon and Australia, Brian’s first position in the wine industry was a summer vineyard position working for winemaker Stephen Barnard of Keswick Vineyards right here in Virginia while a student at Virginia Tech. Brian brings impeccable technical skills and expertise with a passion for enhancing the award-winning style of our brand. Assistant Winemaker – Mark Ward All it took was a visit to Paso Robles, California to spark Mark’s interest in wine. This interest grew into a passion when he helped out part time in his friends’ wine store in the Chicago area. Wanting to retire from his work related travel and return to his rural roots, he enrolled in the professional certificate program at Washington State University to study enology and viticulture. Mark worked his first harvest at Pamplin Family Winery in Sherwood, Oregon, a boutique producer of Bordeaux varietals sourced from some of the top vineyards in Washington. In order to explore the Virginia wine industry further, Mark took an internship at Vint Hill Winery apprenticing under Ashton Lough. Two mottos:
- You were never here
- Loose Lips Sink Ships
Two things to love about us:
- By making few barrels of each varietal, the quality of the wine is more easily controlled – superb!
- We make all of our wines on-site.
Three unique things about us:
- Our tasting room has an observation deck to the production area below. Come on the right day and you can watch our wines being made or bottled, or the fun of one of our events.
- One of the only urban wineries in the area. Visit us and meet our neighbors: Old Bust Head Brewing Co., MTO Kombucha, Covert Cafe, Iva Bella Salon and more.
- Located on a former covert Army base. Your GPS still can’t find us – gotta use your own navigation skills! (Or call us and we’ll get you here.)
Five of our most recent awards: